Saturday, April 19, 2014

Close Hotspots Bird-a-Thon

        I have been wanting to do this trip for so long (about a month), and April 13th seemed like a perfect time: a green mini birdathon on my bike entailing the hotspots near my house. I was going to attempt to break my big day record of 72. I would count heard only birds (that weren't new for the year) on my big day.

       The only problem was that I had to go to my theater class at 10:00 in the morning, so my mom and I had to get up very early, and blitz these hotspots in around two hours and thirty minutes, which is harder than it sounds, mostly because of all the good birds to enjoy. I planned out a rough agenda, but, of course, I took longer than I planned.

        This trip report will not have photos, because I decided to not take my camera: I barely had time to watch the birds, let alone take photos of them.

       At around 6:55 AM my mom and I rode out on our bikes, and added 14 species to the day's count, the best being Bewick's Wren, Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Nuttall's Woodpecker, and Northern Mockingbird, all heard only.

       At the Santa Clara Valley Water District, the main pond was shallow, exposing mudflats on which foraged a Black Phoebe, a Killdeer, a Song Sparrow, and a Spotted Sandpiper - my first county code 3 of the day! Since it was an overcast day, the swallow flock came very low over the pond. I saw some Barn Swallows, and also several Northern Rough-winged Swallows (probably the longest bird name found in our county), which were a first for the year! Only one common swallow left to get for the year: Cliff Swallow.

       In the swallow flock, I noticed a smaller, faster bird with more rapid wingbeats. With my binoculars, I noted the rather plain color and cigar-shaped body, making the bird a Vaux's Swift (actually pronounced Voe's, I think)! This was my first lifer of the day, and a code 3. I got really nice looks; in fact, there were several in the swallow flock.

       As we walked around the headquarters building, I spotted two birds skulking in some green bushes. As one hopped out, I recognized it as a white-striped White-throated Sparrow! This bird had been reported all winter long at the water district, but it was my first time seeing it in the county! The second bird also turned out to be a White-throated Sparrow, and another pleasant surprise.

      Other birds near the main pond and on the Guadalupe Creek Trail included Cedar Waxwings, Acorn Woodpeckers, lots of Violet-green Swallows, a Myrtle subspecies Yellow-rumped Warbler, and several female Brown-headed Cowbirds near the pedestrian bridge near Coleman Ave. Happy with my efforts so far, I left the Santa Clara Valley Water District with 36 birds on the day, but way behind schedule.

       At Almaden Lake, I picked up Common Merganser and Ruddy Duck, as well as Great Egret on the heron rookery island.

       The only good birds on the Los Alamitos Creek Trail were near the bridge, with Black-headed Grosbeak (FOY!), Oak Titmouse, and a gorgeous breeding-plumage American Goldfinch. We had to cut our time on the Los Alamitos Creek Trail short, and biked to Guadalupe Oak Grove.

       At Guadalupe Oak Grove Park, I pished for a few seconds, and a Pacific-slope Flycatcher (another FOY!) came in! I immediately stopped pishing, and, to my surprise, the flycatcher flew to a snag, and sat for a few seconds in what looked like a nest cavity! It then sat more exposed on the dead tree, and I could have gotten a shot, if I had my camera. Awesome to know that this bird might be nesting so close to our house, in a readily accessible place!

       Other birds added at Guadalupe Oak Grove included Red-shouldered Hawk, Dark-eyed Junco, and White-breasted Nuthatch.

       We then moved on to Los Capitancillos Ponds to look for wintering waterfowl and gulls. Here, I was sorely disappointed: not a single gull or wintering duck was on any of the main ponds! This was a huge blow to my big day, and it was already time to go home, so we decided to check the ponds closer to the SCVWD. Here, I had a hear only Spotted Towhee, lots of Red-winged Blackbirds singing from the bushes near the ponds, and two lingering Ring-necked Ducks.

       The final count for my big day, despite a promising start at the SCVWD, was a mere 46, which means I broke my previous big day record by -26! In all seriousness, though, I got five first of years (including one lifer), and had a great time. Next year, I might do this route again, but when I have more time to bird all the places better, and a bit later in the year for more migrants.

Summary:
Bird seen: 46
New birds: 5
Big Year count: 147

Good birding,

Sergey


P.S. - This week, I have spring break, which, of course, means I'll be birding a lot. Went to Palo Alto Baylands today, doing an Ed Levin birdathon with the Fledgling team tomorrow, going to Santa Teresa County Park during the week, and planning on going to Stevens Creek County Park next weekend. What will #150 be? We'll see, probably tomorrow! :)

      



      

3 comments:

  1. Stalked your ebird checklists from today and looks like we're tied (again). Game on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, looks like we are! Going to Santa Teresa County Park today, so I should get some new birds.

    Sorry to report the trip to Palo Alto Baylands was sort-of a bust. I went during the peak low-tide time, so the only shorebirds out close were Least Sandpipers, and the only yearbird I got was Cliff Swallow. I might go again next weekend at the right time. Do you think the shorebirds will still be around then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure they will still be around as many of the shorebirds (the ones not breeding I presume) often stick around for the summer due to abundant food in the mudflats.

    ReplyDelete