Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Loma Prieta and 8th Grade Graduation

       I decided that my last trip during my years at my middle school would be driving up to Loma Prieta. I had originally planned to drive over Mt. Hamilton on that day, but I didn't have enough time, so I settled for the highest peak in the Santa Cruz Mountains instead.

       My mom and I set off early, before it got too hot up on the mountain. To get to Loma Prieta, you first have to take Highway 17, exit at Summit Road, and then follow several roads up the Santa Cruz County-side of the mountain. Eventually the roads turn into Santa Clara County, where the peak is located. Some of my targets were Purple Martin (which was recently reported), Bell's Sparrow, and Black-chinned Sparrow. I didn't expect to get the two latter birds, but I did hope to see Purple Martins, a county code 4, and a rare breeder up here.

       Once we were close to the summit, using my handy book Birding at the Bottom of the Bay and reports from the listserv, South Bay Birds, I located the little hill I had to climb to get the best views of Purple Martins. The first birds I noticed there were an Ash-throated Flycatcher, Dark-eyed Juncos, and a heard-only Wrentit. Here's the trail up to the top of the hill:


       I showed my mom what the Purple Martins looked like in my Sibley, and it took barely a minute for her to notice two suspicious birds in the sky, which she immediately pointed out to me. I took one look in my binoculars, and it was more than enough to identify the birds as Purple Martins, with their big heads, slightly notched tails, and the male's purple sheen on its back. I watched the two martins cruise around us at a very close range, before they glided down the hills toward some snags that they were apparently nesting in, according to the listserv. Unfortunately, the snags were just too far away for me to detect any nesting behavior. I didn't get any photos of the Purple Martins, but the views of the mountains were really good:



       After our success with the martins at the Lower Saddle, we moved on up Loma Prieta Rd to its intersection with Summit Rd. Walking up from here to the Upper Saddle might have produced the two formerly mentioned rare sparrows. First, though, I walked around the intersection, finding numerous Orange-crowned Warblers out in the open on snags (I rarely get to see this species, much less out in the open!), Bushtits, a Chestnut-backed Chickadee, lots of Western Scrub-Jays (my only bird photo of the day), and a Northern Flicker.




       From the canyon below, I heard lots of loud, warbling songs that I first thought could be Yellow-breasted Chats, but soon realized that my hopes were premature - the birds were actually California Thrashers. Listening later on Cornell, I found the Yellow-breasted Chat songs to be a lot more harsh, as opposed to the bubbly song of the thrashers. I also heard many Wrentits, and when I finally heard one singing from near the road, I rushed over, and caught a glimpse as it dove into the undergrowth, which was enough for me to count it as a yearbird! Ha! I knew the Wrentit couldn't hide from me the entire year! I'd been hearing its "bouncing ball" song since April, but never caught a glimpse until this day.

       Next, we walked up Loma Prieta Rd. We didn't get all the way to the Upper Saddle, where the best place for the sparrows is, but some of the highlights included a White-throated Swift, lots of Anna's Hummingbirds, two Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, a Hairy Woodpecker, and lots of good views (the dark dot on the right of the third photo is actually a butterfly I accidentally got in the shot).






       Our day had to end here, but it certainly was a memorable one. Next time, I'd definitely love to drive and walk all the way to the top of Loma Prieta!

Summary:
Birds seen: 22
New birds: 2
Big year count: 165

* * *

       That Friday, I graduated from middle school. It may not be as big as high school or college graduation, but I think it's an important transition in life all the same. I've been going to the same middle and elementary school for the past five years, and it's really sad for me to let go the teachers and friends I've had, but the memories with them will live on. In August, I'm starting high school at Basis Independent, in downtown San Jose. It will be challenging, (if you don't believe me, read my friend Jasen's blog: http://insertcreativetitleheregkoprs.blogspot.com/), but I hope it will also bring many new experiences and memories for me, as well as prepare me for life. Goodbye, Old Orchard School; I'll miss you!


Good birding,

Sergey Pavlov

P.S. - I'm working on my Arizona trip report. I'll put it up on my other, (sort-of forgotten) blog: birdingcalifornia.blogspot.com
   

No comments:

Post a Comment