Thursday, September 18, 2014

Almaden and Vasona Lake Birding

          When we arrived back home from our family trip to Southern California, (nice birds there included lifers Reddish Egret and Least Tern at Bolsa Chica, yearbird Wandering Tattler, and a Great Horned Owl, in broad daylight in Hungington Central Park!) I was only two weeks and a day away from the first day of high school. I would have to see some good birds during this period of time, before crazy homework and projects would start at BASIS. Luckily my cousins were visiting from Chicago at the time, so I got to spend some time with them and visit some local museums and parks.

       On August 6th, my brother, cousins, and I went to Almaden Lake Park with our grandfather. I didn't take my camera - just my binoculars for "pleasure birding." I would try to find any of the warblers that Janna Pauser had recently reported in the willows near the bridge - Yellow and Wilson's would be yearbirds.

        At around 11:00, we parked near the south side of the lake and began our counterclockwise walk to the Coleman Rd. bridge. The best birds were a Western Grebe, a Spotted Sandpiper on the island in the middle of the lake, a Bewick's Wren (there seems to be less of them this year), and around 300 gulls, of which most, if not all, were California. On the way back, I spotted a Green Heron on one of the lake's gravel beaches. In the eucalyptus trees near the pedestrian bridge over Los Alamitos Creek, I found about ten Hooded Orioles, all calling their "wheet" calls! Ten Hooded Orioles is quite a bit - more than I've ever seen in one place. In the willows past the bridge, all I found were more Hooded Orioles. Upon reaching the lawns, we turned, and headed back towards our car.

        I sped up to have more time to check the willows again. This time, I was lucky: as I peered into the undergrowth, I saw a small shape darting around there! Bringing it into my binocular's view, I caught several flashes of yellow - a warbler! After about thirty seconds, the warbler came out into the open to reveal its short bill, olive back and head, and gray undertail, sealing the ID of Wilson's Warbler (the lack of a black cap made it a female)! I was relieved to have finally gotten this yearbird - I had managed to miss it in Monte Bello OSP in the spring, as well as several other places. At one point, I thought I saw another warbler appear for a few seconds in the greenery, (which looked to be a Yellow Warbler), but I decided not to count it because of the bad look I had and the uncertain ID.

        As a bonus, I noticed a single Vaux's Swift flying high above me as I exited the park. Casual birding for the win - I'd seen some better birds in the realxing hour-and-a-half I was there than during some real birding trips!

Summary:
Birds seen: 32
New birds: 1
Big year count: 176


* * *


       The next day, August 7th, I went to Santa Teresa County Park with my cousins and we walked the Mine Trail, and around Pueblo Picnic Area. It was a slow, hot day, with the best birds being Rufous-crowned Sparrows, a Golden Eagle, Band-tailed Pigeons, Steller's Jays, and two Wrentits.

Summary:
Birds seen: 20
New birds: 0
Big year count: 176

* * *


       Vasona Lake County Park is one of our county's best birding spots which could use more popularity with birders. Sitting near downtown Los Gatos on the Los Gatos Creek Trail, it is an amazing place for migrating birds in the fall. Flycatchers, orioles, tanagers, and vireos can all be found there, but its specialty is the warblers. Last year, in the fall, for around three months, there was even a continuously reported Costa's Hummingbird in the sage near the pedestrian bridge. Of course, I got completely frozen chasing it one day in December (the day it decided to fly south and disappear), so I never saw it.

       I started my big year on January 1st in Vasona, seeing lots of nice birds, and saw a Bald Eagle there in February. If you've never visited it, please do: you won't regret it!

       On August 11th, I went to Vasona at around 12:00 with my cousins and grandpa. It was late and rather hot, so I didn't seriously expect to see any good birds. Deciding to "lazy bird" again, I only brought my binoculars. I started birding at the eucalyptus trees that serve as a Great Blue Heron rookery in the spring, but were empty now. About a minute in, I began hearing Chestnut-backed Chickadees in the oak trees around me. I immediately looked up, knowing that migrating warblers like to associate with birds like chickadees and Bushtits in the fall. The first bird that caught my eye, however, was a Brown Creeper! It, too, was associating with the chickadee flock, gleaning the oak bark for insects!

      Soon, a yellow bird came into view, which I knew was a warbler. The lighting was too bad for me to distinguish between Yellow and Orange-crowned, but I tentatively leaned Orange-crowned because of the dusky vest and pointed bill (it was hard to tell). Walking the trail near the Meadowbrook and Creekside Group Areas, the best birds were White-breasted Nuthatches, Band-tailed Pigeons flying over, and Dark-eyed Juncos and Black Phoebes. In the eucalyptus trees on the right side of the trail there were both Hooded and Bullock's Orioles (more of the former), Anna's Hummingbirds, and American Robins. I also heard several calls I didn't know, that I guessed could have been Swainson's Thrushes. I just couldn't get a look at the unknown bird making that call!

         On the way back from the railroad, I checked the "eucalyptus tree side" of the trail again. To my surprise, the first bird I saw was another small, yellow one - this time, it was much lower, and I identified it as a beautiful male Wilson's Warbler with a black cap! Not twenty feet away from it, I found a definite Orange-crowned Warbler which was almost as beautiful.
  
         The best birds on the lake itself was a Green Heron and a Caspian Tern. That ended my first day at Vasona.

Summary:
Birds seen: 34
New birds: 0
Big year count: 176

* * *

       My next trip to Vasona, two days later, went even better. That day, I started a bit earlier - at 10:15, which was a bit less hot, so more birds were out. My cousins wanted to go canoeing and paddleboarding on the lake, so we parked at the parking lot near the playground, and began walking toward the boat dock. Suddenly, I heard unmistakable warbler "chip" calls coming from the island with eucalyptus trees! 

       I quickly turned my binoculars on the action in the greenery, and saw a small yellow, bird disappear into the undergrowth. I noticed two more birds higher up, chasing each other around the leafless branches - my first-of-fall Yellow-rumped Warblers! It's been more than three months since I saw my last, departing one in the spring. Time to get used to the sound of their calls filling parks in the winter!

       Suddenly, I noticed the yellow bird popping back out of the bushes, right near the creek's water! This time, I identified it as a male Yellow Warbler without any doubts - traces of red streaks on its breast, olive wings, and a short tail with yellow under it. I was sure that I would get this bird, but better sooner than later - not to mention the looks were really good! These birds are better in the spring in their fresh plumage, but I could still detect some of the red streaks on its chest.

       Soon, an Orange-crowned Warbler popped out right by the two Yellow-rumps - I actually think I might have seen that bird instead of the Yellow when I initially saw it disappearing into the shrubs. The Orange-crowned completed a warbler trio - three warblers in a day. I've never done four before, but today seemed like a good chance, with Wilson's still possible.

       While my cousins went on the canoe, I walked to the dam and back. The best birds were a Caspian Tern, a Green Heron, a heard only Belted Kingfisher, and a Brown Creeper (!). I was surprised to have found another one, because I've never even seen one here before my last trip. In fact, I first located the creeper by its sharp, high calls, and then found it on the eucalyptus trees near the dam. After that, I joined my cousins on the canoe for about thirty minutes, before heading off toward the eucalyptus trees near Meadowbrook and Creekside Group Areas, hoping to find more good birds.

          I was not disappointed. Well, in the first stand of tall eucalyptus trees, I was. As soon as I got to the riparian area near the Meadowbrook Group Area, I noticed a bird foraging in the lower branches of a tree standing in the meadow. To my great surprise, I found it was a Black-throated Gray Warbler! I saw this county code 3 last year, as well as this year in Montebello in the spring. However, I'd almost never had looks as good as these at any warbler! It was in plain view half of the time, about ten feet off the ground at the lowest. I could easily make out the little yellow lore spots! This warbler was associated with a Chestnut-backed Chickadee flock, and I soon noticed two more interesting birds flying between the trees in the meadow, spiraling up their trunks: more Brown Creepers! One of these could have been the bird I had seen two days ago.

       I proceeded to check for more good birds on both sides of the trails: both the eucalyptus and the riparian side. Farther down the trail, I found my fifth (!) different warbler species of the day, a male Wilson's in the top of another tree in the meadow. Talk about shattering records! Near the railroad bridge, I heard the mysterious call from two days ago again. I put my binoculars on the bird, but it flew into the eucalyptus trees on the other side of the meadow! Focusing on it much farther away, I saw its black wings, red head, and yellow body. It wasn't a Swainson's Thrush at all - I had been hearing Western Tanagers, and had now finally seen one!

       On the way back, near the Meadowbrook Group Area, I heard a Downy/Hairy Woodpecker call and hastened to identify it. I found the woodpecker working on a dead snag on the eucalyptus side of the trail. It had a huge bill, a shoulder spur, and no black markings on its white outer tail feathers - a textbook Hairy! Interestingly, I'd seen a Downy here on the first day of my big year, near the Creekside Group Area.

        It was an amazing day, and my post will end here. So, definitely visit Vasona Lake County Park in the fall - you never know what you'll find!

Summary:
Birds seen: 40
New birds: 1
Big year count: 177

Good birding,
Sergey Pavlov





No comments:

Post a Comment