Saturday, January 11, 2014

Canon Powershot SX 50

       As a present, I recently got the Canon Powershot SX 50 HS. This camera is a HUGE improvement from the one I had previously, a Nikon Coolpix P100, with a broken zoom. I hope to get some great photos this year with the camera to document my Big Year. At maximum zoom, the camera can zoom to 200x, and can focus at 50x comfortably.

    The afternoon after I went to Vasona Lake, I unpacked the camera, read the instruction manual, and was ready to use it. I went outside to snap some shots near our front yard. Here are the results, and I am very happy:


       NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD -- a FOY! It was actually in our yard, but too obscured by branches, and took off too fast for a good photo. Taken from across the street, and much better than anything my old camera could have done.


       YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER -- not the best shot, but still, much better than what my old one could have done.


        MOURNING DOVE -- in our front yard, but not bad for 50x! I will probably edit out the branch near its beak in Paint.


       Really happy with this one -- a FOY LINCOLN'S SPARROW that has taken to frequenting our yard! This is slightly cropped, but I like the shot a lot.

   
       And lastly, Mr. Fluffy -- a Yellow-rumped Warbler hanging out on our neighbor's tree.

       Again, I'm really impressed with the shots this camera has taken so far. The next day, I went to Stanford for non-birding purposes, but still got some nice shots I'll share. What will number 50 be?

Summary:
Birds seen: 4
New birds: 2
Big Year count: 49

No comments:

Post a Comment