Saturday, January 11, 2014

Stanford University Campus

       My second trip of my Big Year was to the Stanford University Campus in extreme northwestern Santa Clara County. Even though we would visit the Arts Center and view several of the Quads, I took along my new camera, because Stanford is also a nice birding place. Again, I was pleased with how most of the shots turned out, but, as several users have commented, doesn't work well with fast movement in low light.

      It turns out that bird #50 for my Big Year was a RED-TAILED HAWK that I saw sitting on a telephone pole while driving to Stanford! Only two days past, and I'm already 1/4 of the way to my goal - not a bad start!


       Here is Stanford's Hoover Tower through trees.


       Here is my (attempted) take on California oak woodland.



        As you can see, there were plenty of ACORN WOODPECKERS around. I couldn't get a decent shot because they were so high up, and there always seemed to be branches covering them up.

       
       Stanford's famous oval with the lawn, and the Hoover Tower.


       Here is the entrance to the Stanford Main Quad with the Hoover Tower.




       Birds I saw included: WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS, COMMON RAVENS, a WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH, a RED-TAILED HAWK, and EUROPEAN STARLINGS. The above HERMIT THRUSH was found together with several AMERICAN ROBINS, and was photographed sitting on a bicycle tire! The photo was darkened in Picasa, but I like how it turned out. While I was watching the robins and thrush, I also saw a SPOTTED TOWHEE looking for food by jumping around on the ground, near the bicycles, but I couldn't get a shot. I also got a sharp photo of a CEDAR WAXWING'S head, who wouldn't show me his entire body. And, lastly, I photographed three GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS (close two non-breeding, far one breeding) together. 


       One last shot of the Hoover Tower.

       I look forward to taking more shots with this camera, and unlocking its full potential. I am currently catching up on trip reports: right now, I am writing one on Coyote Valley. Tomorrow, the 12th of January, I may go to Shoreline, which could get me to 100 for the first month.

Summary:
Birds seen: 24
New birds: 4
Big Year count: 54



No comments:

Post a Comment