Monday, February 10, 2014

Coyote Lake County Park

       The day after seeing the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at Ed Levin, my dad and I traveled to Coyote Valley once more, this time in the evening, to try to find the elusive Short-eared Owl being reported by some at dusk in the fields at the end of Laguna Ave. As you may have predicted, no luck. :( I've never seen an owl, but really want to this year...

      Anyways, the day after that (Monday), I had a day off at school. My brother and dad would go carp fishing at Coyote Lake, in the southern part of the county, and I decided to accompany them. I'd look for any woodland birds that could be new for me, Bald Eagle at the reservoir (!), as well as Rock Wren (a Code 4 for our county) and Rufous-crowned Sparrow at the lake's dam. On the road to the lake through the hills, I saw my first FOY of the day -- a flock of CALIFORNIA QUAIL crossing the road in front of our car! Our next new bird was the introduced WILD TURKEY, also seen on the road. Photo was taken through the windshield.


              Upon seeing the lake, I was dismayed to see it had partly dried up because of the lack of rain. We are having a drought here in California, in contrast to the East and Midwest, this winter. Because of this drought, the amount of birds has decreased noticeably, but rains should be coming soon in February. The lake was still scenic, though.



      On the lake, there was perhaps the biggest number of EARED GREBES I have ever seen (at least 50, even more COMMON MERGANSERS (at least 70), a COMMON GOLDENEYE, a WESTERN GREBE, DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, and RUDDY DUCKS.




       Also cruising above the lake were about five RING-BILLED GULLS. The one closest to me gave me great views, and, to my surprise, showed a tiny, yellow, unmarked bill, as well as its small size compared to the surrounding Ring-bills. MEW GULL! I immediately thought. Closer inspection confirmed the lifer! I felt really proud for identifying a gull (and a lifer) in flight! Seeing no Bald Eagles, I moved on to birding the oak woodland habitat.

       It provided ample ACORN WOODPECKERS, OAK TITMICE, CHESTUNT-BACKED CHICKADEES, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, two STELLER'S JAYS, WESTERN SCRUB JAYS, and many DARK-EYED JUNCOS, as well as a surprise HUTTON'S VIREO that wouldn't let me take a good photo because of a branch.





More photos, including an AMERICAN CROW harassing a RED-TAILED HAWK:




       Unfortunately, no carp were caught by my dad or brother, and it started to become quite hot. We packed up, and my dad drove me to the dam, where I would try for Bald Eagle, Rufous-crowned Sparrow, and Rock Wren. The first bird I saw on the dam's rock faces were some GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS. However, a smaller bird moving to the left on the rocks away from the reservoir caught my eye. My face split into a wide grin beneath my binoculars held to my eyes - ROCK WREN!

       The Code 4 was surprisingly cooperative (in contrast to the sapsucker), and let me observe its behavior thoroughly, take some good shots, and even compare it to a nearby much smaller BEWICK'S WREN. A professional photographer would have gotten much better shots, but still, enjoy:




 


       No Rufous-crowned Sparrow or Bald Eagle (next time!) were found near the dam, but I was very satisfied with the Rock Wren. Two lifers (Mew Gull and Rock Wren) and two FOYs (California Quail and Wild Turkey) made this one of the best days of my Big Year so far, as well as getting some nice photos.

       It is now well into February in actual time, so I'll post the rest of January as one trip report, and the beginning of February as another. In a week in February (15th to the 22nd) I will be going to Southern California and maybe Arizona. I hope to get my ABA 200th lifer during that trip!

Summary:
Birds seen: 36
New birds: 4
Big Year count: 97




No comments:

Post a Comment