Sunday, February 23, 2014

February - Rare and Awesome Birds!

        On February 1st, my dad and I again went searching for Short-eared Owls in Coyote Valley. As we were driving there, an adult COOPER'S HAWK flew overhead, allowing us to ID it by its long wings and tail, which was a new bird for the year for me. I got a nice shot of a WESTERN MEADOWLARK:


        As you may have expected, we did not find the Short-eared Owls for a third time. That only makes me want to see them more!

        On Sunday, February 2nd, my dad, brother, and I again visited Shoreline Park, but this time the Charleston Slough area. We were there for only thirty minutes, because it began raining on us. Maybe not good for us, but it definitely was for nature and the birds! Over the next week or so, we would get several more rain showers, and even a small amount of snow on the mountains around us. At Charleston Slough and Coast Casey Forebay, the first bird I added was BLACK-NECKED STILT. This was a special bird for me because it brought me halfway to my goal of 200 for the year. I have a feeling that the next 100 birds will be harder... I then counted GREEN-WINGED TEAL, LEAST SANDPIPER, MARBLED GODWIT, GREATER SCAUP, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, and CINNAMON TEAL, putting my list at 106.









       It rained again next weekend, but that didn't stop me from trying to see two rarities being reported close to my house - Golden-crowned Kinglet and Hermit Warbler at Greystone Park. It drizzled the entire time I was there, and I didn't catch a glimpse of either bird, but I did manage to add one new bird to my list - PURPLE FINCH.

     On the local listserv, SouthBayBirds, reports of Bald Eagles at Vasona Lake County Park came in during that weekend. On Wednesday, my dad went out to find the Bald Eagles, and had success. After school, my brother and I joined him to try to re-find them. The first birds I added were ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS that were feeding on buds on the trees. As it started to darken, a huge shape flew over the lake, and my dad called out, "Bald Eagle!" I turned my binoculars on it, and it indeed turned out to be the symbol of America! The BALD EAGLE alighted at the top of a eucalyptus, allowing for some distant photos.


        That Friday, I again traveled to Greystone Park to try my luck with the kinglet and the warbler. After about an hour of looking, I finally found the HERMIT WARBLER flitting about in a pine!



       On Saturday, I had originally planned on going out to Sanborn County Park and Lake Ranch Reservoir to look for woodland birds like Pileated Woodpecker and Red-breasted Nuthatch, but my dad had seen a Burrowing Owl at Sunnyvale Baylands the day before. We decided to go chasing the owl.

       I couldn't resist a smile as I saw the first owl on my lifelist! BURROWING OWL:



       Even though the Burrowing Owl stole the show, other birds at Baylands included ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS, NORTHERN FLICKERS, and COMMON YELLOWTHROATS, which were new for me. I also probably missed out on a Marsh Wren that sang right in front of me, but wouldn't come out. 



        After going to Sunnyvale Baylands, I went on vacation for a week in Southern California, so I didn't bird in the county. Upon coming back, I went to Shoreline once more, and this time I found a GREATER YELLOWLEGS, an easily found bird I had missed last time.


February Summary:
Birds seen: 87
New birds: 15
Big Year count: 113

Now, its time to finish off the waterfowl, gulls, sandpipers, and ducks, and get ready for spring migration. See you in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment